Thursday, February 21, 2008

I found a brand new chess opening to use. It's pretty much by accident how I found it but I was searching through YouTube and found a curious lecture called "The Polar Bear System". This chess opening is based on The Bird's System championed by English chess master Henry Bird.

What I find exciting about this system is it doesn't require knowledge of theoretical tomes of moves to succeed. Just basic chess playing and some knowledge of how to respond to Black replying to the set number of moves in the Polar Bear System as it's called. The set moves are f4,Nf3,g3,Bg2,0-0,d3,c3 and Na3.

This unusual setup allows White to play against virtually any opening system Black chooses to respond with. The only opening this system is not prepared for unless you spend time studying is the From Gambit. Unfortunately, I've found by playing on Freechess.org that guests who respond to 1.f4 sometimes reply 1...e5...inviting a transposition to either the King's Gambit or into the From Gambit proper with 2.fxe5. I haven't had much success playing against Black who reply with moves from the From Gambit...but that's because I really haven't had time to study the From Gambit.

I think I'll purchase the e-book The Bird's System from Evcryman Chess site and re-learn the From Gambit before getting too deeply involved with the Polar Bear System.

I'm getting comments from players when they face the Polar Bear System saying it's very interesting and I'm fearful the experts will seize the moment and learn all about this new subsystem in The Bird's System and soon I won't be able to play against them anymore. :(

Anyway...I'm having alot of fun playing fast matches using 10 minute increments for both sides. What's really interesting is no matter how good Black is...the pawn storms from White become overwhelming and Black sometimes hang pieces. This has happened several times already and I've seen a tremendous increase in the white knight's power vs. the bishops in this one. The knights in The Polar Bear system are lethal.

I've learned from losing in this opening system not to post the light squared bishop on the g2 square if Black innocently plays Nc6 early in the game. If Black plays this move early in the game...my best response is to play d3 and open the diagonal for the white squared bishop to B5. Once I get the chance I should immediately play the bishop to B5 putting pressure on the c6 - e8 diagonal. Unless Black wastes a tempo on protecting the pawn structure by Bd7 to prevent me from ruining it I shouldn't hesitate in exchanging the White bishop for the knight on c6. The resulting pawn structure for Black makes it virtually impossible for him/her to respond effectively on the Queenside while White makes serious inroads on the kingside.

The resulting positions are very interesting and forces experienced players to think very carefully how to play against you with Black.